Friday, April 29, 2011

State Street Lanterns

The last time I went to Santa Barbara I was struck by the variety and beauty 
of the many lanterns that line State Street.


{the Arlington Theater}


Every corner, eve, entry and arch seems to be adorned by ornate vessels of light.


{gas lanterns outside Palazzio Italian restaurant}


So, on my morning walk I snapped a few pictures


(well, maybe more than a few),


in an attempt to capture the striking wrought iron beauty, 
stark contrasts of shadow and sun, 
and the typical Spanish-style architecture 
that gives this town such a sense of place.


I love the outdoor lantern--indoors--trend I've been seeing a lot of lately.


So I found it fun to imagine just the right interior settings for some of these dramatic lanterns.


I'd love the find the perfect lantern


for the perfect price


to hang perfectly over my dining room table.


Don't worry. 


Having considered the pros and cons,


and after much deliberation,


 {ornate lanterns outside the courthouse}


I've decided not to attempt a lantern-heist on State Street.

2 comments:

  1. a little homesick now - well... sb sick.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Beautiful pics of SB! Love it! Thanks for sharing.
    You got a lovely blog here.
    Hope to see you on my blog:)

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...